Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Reflections

After a couple of days back, I think I'm doing a fair job at beginning my New Years' Resolutions. Some of them, anyway.

I wasn't quite motivated enough on Monday or Tuesday, but ended up with really good classes. I got some positive feedback from both my IL and the principal.

There were obstacles, though. Last weekend, my boyfriend's grandmother died. I have difficulty with other people's sadness. Sometimes it seems like my feelings are nothing compared to how I feel for others. It's a little frustrating, especially when I see someone near me hurting and I can't do anything about it.

That gave me a couple of days of really unmotivated and not-well-rested teaching, but I did a good job anyway. The hardest part was trying to get work done in the mean time, when I really wanted to put my head down and sleep.

Today was the funeral, and I was suitably impressed at the quality of big, loving, family, that turned out. Not to detract from my own family, and a warm, loving, meaningful funeral this summer, but today I was included in a new family. I have two, now. It was also my first Catholic Mass, which was interesting, but a little confusing. It's also strange hearing the prayer in English. Sometimes I don't really want to know exactly what is being said, so I prefer stick to the traditional Jewish service. It's nice music and community without the specific uncomfortable religious specifics.

And after the burial, there was a luncheon with an open bar. It was filled with stories and laughter and tears and an open bar. It was nice, and I played designated driver.

This, however, has not helped my weight loss resolution. There have been too many family meals, family meal leftovers (Italian family, mind you), and cheer-up dinners. Diet starts next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment