Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Favorites

This is a BUSY week. A lot of extra hours.

I had a disappointing training weekend, but satisfying in other ways. I cut Saturday's bike short because my hip flexor was a little achy. On Sunday morning, I actually got my running shoes on, before deciding that another day to rest would be helpful. (Plus, I was lazy. I got an extra couple of hours to watch TV.) Partly, I was up wayyyyy too late on Saturday night (My last EMS shift of the "summer", and I had a great time), and partly, I was tired of this ache.

By Monday, my hip was feeling great, although I pushed a little too hard with a fast-ish 5 miler - but the weather was great. My coach suggested I run on the treadmill, so I can stop if I need, but I hate the treadmill.

Yesterday, we had Instructional Leader PD, which meant although I was technically at work until 6PM, I was hanging out with all grownups, which is slightly more relaxing than 12-year-olds. Plus, we got free lunch.

Plus, no detention. Bam.

I am pretty proud of myself for completing two workouts between a late workday yesterday and today - an hour on the bike, and a 1300 yd swim this morning.

Today, a student overreacted to a small correction and shut down in class. Shutting down is not entirely uncommon in 7th grade, and means that a student sits there and refuses to move, write, or otherwise follow directions. 7th graders like to get angry, and just need time to cool off. I NEVER did that when I was that age. Right, Mom and Dad?

I ended up having a nice chat with him about an hour afterwards, and we talked about how it is never worth fighting a little correction, because something little can be solved later. Time, tone, place. That's what we always remind them. I tell my students that I always want to hear their side of the story - just not right there, right then. There is always a time to explain yourself, and to hear a better explanation of the correction. I want our students to grow up and make good decisions in the moment, and ask questions later.

I think I learned a little bit from this student, and he learned a little bit from me, which is how it should be.

I've spent a lot of time talking about frustrations with students, so I 'd like to share a couple of my favorites. That isn't to say that I don't love B and W - I would do anything to see them be successful - but they are not always the ones who keep a smile on my face when it's early in the morning or late in the afternoon.

BO is so incredibly smart, and not the work-hard kind of smart. He picks up on concepts so incredibly fast, and can solve any problem. He likes to make his peers laugh sometimes, but accepts correction pretty well. Usually. He is always raising his hand to predict the next answer to the questions his peers ask, or the questions I haven't asked yet. The other day, as a challenge (I like to get kids into some outside science stuff), I asked if anyone knew what the Drake Equation is. His hand popped up immediately  with a remarkably detailed response. When he didn't know the answer to a challenge, he looked it up at home and came to school the next day with the answer.

C is an 8th grader, which means I had him last year. He was always doing the right thing, always answering the hardest questions correctly, and always explaining difficult concepts to the class. I would have been happy letting him teach the class. This year, he helps me grade my papers. For all multiple choice or calculation grading, I leave a folder on the corner of my desk with the class's assignments and a Post-It with answers on it. By 5PM, the assignments are completely graded.

J is just the sweetest. Not only does she always do the right thing, even when in a class full of students who are not..quite... doing the right thing. She has adopted some of her mother's Caribbean lilt, so it is a pleasure to hear her speak. She is great at following long series of directions, so I can give her a quick set of directions to set up an entire lab for me, while I can get other work done.

And today, I get to hang out with my 25-ish Science Olympiad-ers while they figure out how to build bridges. It'll be awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment