Monday, July 11, 2011

Kindle-boyfriend-picnic Sunday

If my relationships with parents or guardians go awry, it is my responsibility to improve them. We learned this on Friday, in a class on how to interact with students' parents. I'm nervous to start contacting parents, but I plan to begin this week.

Weekends are better when the week is busy. My weekend started with a lovely evening with some new TFA friends and a Saturday brunch with an old Brown friend. What followed was a chaotic and awesome party-like thing that can only be called a county fire parade. My department won third place overall in the parade! The weekend ended in a lovely Kindle-boyfriend-picnic Sunday and a quick trip to the copy center.

And then the week began.

All the anxiety stemming from the unknown has sort of fizzled out, leaving school a little less exciting. Although I was blessed with a fourth student this morning, class went normally. I love the material, but it's a little challenging keeping the students interested. They did well on the assessment, but they just weren't excited about it. I have to work on that. They did work hard on making index cards with life process definitions (homeostasis, metabolism, etc.) in their own words. I am proud of them for that.

I'm working on a lesson plan for next week that deals with transcription and translation – my favorite! It's frustrating that I am limited to a whole lesson squished into one hour, so I can't cover everything I'd like to, but I do get to introduce them to the ubiquitous amino acid chart.

Back to lesson planning. I hope I'll finish my work early because I have my monthly fire department meeting. Today marks the end of my first year of active service.

Also, tomorrow my collab and I are substitute-teaching in the later Living Environment class, the one with 25 kids full of personalities. Let's see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment