Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Internet

I have internet! And cable! I will never be productive again.

This morning we had the last session of orientation. I am all oriented.

I have been really busy planning. Today I went to my classroom and realized how much work I have there. I need to unpack boxes, decorate boards, and learn how to use a Smartboard. Since the school is in a temporary location, my entire classroom is in boxes. I unpacked a few and then raced home to collect the internet.

Along the way, today, I've encountered a bunch of teacher at the school, all of whom are happy to have me and help me. I'm too overwhelmed to have specific questions, but it's nice that they're there. I feel welcomed.

I've got a handle on things. I have lesson plans for the first three days of class, and an agenda for the first two weeks. My next project is to work on a unit assessment for the first unit and then plan the rest of the unit.

The first week or so is mostly classroom policies and procedures. For example, the first day, which is a half day (~30 minute periods, I think), includes: How to Enter the Classroom, How to Exit the Classroom, and What is a Scientist. You might not think that it's that important to spend time on these things, but a few minutes spent making classroom entry on day one will save a few minutes on getting started every single day of the year. Time adds up. Every veteran teacher will tell you that there is no such thing as too much time spent on classroom procedures.

I have the first day entirely scripted out, but I'm still nervous. What if it doesn't go correctly? What if the kids just don't listen. What if they never stop talking long enough for me to teach them that they have to be quiet? I have 28 kids in a class! It's a crowded room with kids sitting right next to each other. It can get really loud really fast. I need to make sure to control the class consistently from day one. All I have to do is figure out how to control the class on day one.

No comments:

Post a Comment