Monday, December 19, 2011

Back to Basics

Now that Science Fair Work Week #1 is over, we have gone back to regular programming. I was terrified to restart the old routines, but it really worked well. They like the routines. My double period with Yellow was even good, really good. Review Jeopardy even got a little TOO competitive. Worse things have happened. I think I'm starting to build relationships with the two new kids (and their respective grandmothers).

Today was the big Science Fair packet due date. And the showing was...not as terrible as I had expected. I got about half the packets. Another quarter of them "left them at home", and the last quarter will probably not do it at all. Of the ones I received, about a third of them will be returned because large chunks were missing. OMG FOLLOW DIRECTIONS, CHILDREN! Next year, I'm teaching the kids how to follow directions on a paper from day 1. Seriously. I never thought that would be something I had to teach. I spent a lot of time answering questions last week with "Look at the paper. Directions are there." "Oh."

I actually finished grading all the packets I got today, which makes me happy. Now I can catch up on phone calls I have to make regarding mid-marking period failing students.

Some of the projects are good, though. Like, really good. I can't wait to see the experiments. This won't be too bad.

Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment