Thursday, April 5, 2012

New Friends

I'm really loving my kids more and more. I think I've reached an important milestone, and that is that for the first time this year, I have been able to say, "Hey guys, I'm not feeling well today, so I need you to be extra quiet. I can't shout," and they are well behaved. They did a good job of self-policing today, almost all of them. I'm really proud of them. I've noticed when I fight them less, they behave better. I am consistent with the consequences, but nicer about it.

I think if it were a different job, I might have taken a sick day. But, it's been a choppy week with a PD day and a field trip, so I needed to be there so the kids learned something today. I also wore my new t-shirt that has a diagram of the heart, lungs, and major blood vessels, and the kids LOVED it. It was a conversation piece all day, and kids loved showing me what they knew about it (7th and 8th graders alike). It's worth a sore throat for that.

I also dropped the bomb to the kids that I am in a relationship(that is all I told them) because the Friday open-question discussion turned into a brief chat about healthy relationships. They proceeded to list every male in the building, asking who it was. Apparently, it is inconceivable that I could know anyone outside of school. I guess this isn't surprising, because that's what I thought about my teachers when I was growing up. (The first time a professor asked me to call him by his first name, I almost said no.)

At 3:05pm, I will take my headache and sore throat and drive to New York for Passover. It's a nice 3-day weekend, and I plan on not getting a whole lot of work done. I have some studying to do, and maybe I'll hope on the ambulance once or twice, but I need to relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment