Thursday, June 7, 2012

Packing

The year is really wrapping up. There is no real "class" going on anymore, even though I really tried to have lessons planned. The schedule is all screwy, I don't know in advance whether I'm going to have a class, and much of the time is spent packing up the room anyway.

Of course, the students are always good for reminding me why I do this. On Monday, I was doing a lesson on ecology and food chains for my 7th graders. The Do Now was: What did you have for lunch yesterday? Where did the food come from? Several students commented that they weren't in school yesterday (Sunday). I said, "What, you don't eat lunch on weekends?" A few of them said, "Nope."

It's not all bad, though. Yesterday, a student of mine, who can never keep her nose out of a book, asked me for a book recommendation. I recommended Ender's Game. I then hung my hat on the wall, put my feet up, and felt pretty satisfied with my first year teaching.

There are 8 days of school left, although I am taking tomorrow off to spend with my family, and 6 of the rest are half days. According to my calculations, if there are no additional obstacles to class like graduation rehearsal (which there will be), I have only 23 classes to teach and 40 working periods (class, lunch duty, homerooms, etc). That's 1600 minutes or less. This is crazy.

I also realized I no longer have Sunday anxiety. It took me 9 months, but I don't spend Sunday worrying about my week. I'm cool.

At least, with the ease of teaching these days, I have been getting my training in. Last night, I was feeling antsy, so I ran 1.5 miles just because. I've been pretty consistently running 10 miles per week and throwing in some biking and swimming too. I don't know if I'll win any awards in the triathlon on the 17th, but I have a good chance of beating my best time.

During testing, and other times when I don't have a lot to do, I've been working on my training plan. I pretty much have a running plan mapped out (theoretically - this never actually works out) until February. I would like to do an Olympic Triathlon in August, a half marathon in October, and possibly a full marathon (26.2 miles) on the day I turn 26 - June 29, 2013. By February, I could have my running base up to 25 miles per week, which is sufficient to start training for a marathon. I might even consider a half Ironman in 2013 or 2014. It sounds crazy, and really intimidating, but I've noticed that the more I squeeze running into my schedule, the more it happens to find time on its own. I'm really making a habit of it.

Now I only have to decide if I want to do the North Jersey Half Marathon or the Hershey Half Marathon in October. Hershey is 2.5 hours away from where I'm living, but it's Hershey. Chocolate everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment