Friday, June 15, 2012

Triathlon

Today's entry is dedicated to Sunday's triathlon, the Long Island Gold Coast Triathlon. It is a sprint distance, which means a 0.5 mile swim, 11.5 mile bike, and a 3 mile run. Last year I finished in 2:00:46, and the year before in 1:56:44. My goal this year is to beat both of those times, and I have a specific plan to do so.

I think I am in overall better shape this year than for the last two years, although I've only done one (!) swimming workout. I've been running a lot more this year, and while I haven't done a whole lot of biking, I've done more than last year. I think I'm all packed and ready. My packing list is as follows:
To wear:
Tri shorts
Tank top 
To bring:
Wetsuit
Goggles
Swim cap
Bike number
Number belt w/ number
Bike shoes
Helmet
Bike
Sunglasses
Hat
Running shoes
Socks
Body Glide
Extra socks
Towel
Poland Spring water bottle (for washing feet after swim exit)
Regular water bottle (to put in bicycle)
Energy gel (to put on bicycle)
Bike pump
Plastic shopping bag (for wetsuit)

The swim is what worries me the most. Last year, I jumped in and just freaked out. I couldn't catch my breath and couldn't get into a rhythm. I struggled for a whole 27 minutes. It was awful, and hurt me for the entire race. I just couldn't settle down for the race. This time will be different. I'm not going to worry about time. Two years ago, I was better prepared, because I was training at Brown's year-round indoor pool, and I zoomed through in about 21 minutes. So, last year, I worried about timing. This year, I don't care how long it takes me (I actually do, but I have to lie to myself). I am going to think about three things: BREATHE, RELAX, SIGHT (sighting is periodically looking up to make sure I'm on the right path -- it's very hard to swim in a straight line when there isn't a black line drawn along the bottom of the swim route). And then, there's the lesson I learned from Finding Nemo: "Just keep swimming." I'll do that. "A" Goal - 22:00; "B" Goal - 25:00; BREATHE, RELAX, SIGHT.

For T1 (the first transition, from swim to bike), I'm focusing on not forgetting my timing chip. In order to keep track of our times throughout the race, we wear a RFID (?) tag sewn to a Neoprene band, Velcroed to one ankle. Two years ago, in an attempt to more easily remove my wetsuit in a hurry, I took off my timing chip, with the intention of putting it back on before I got on the bike. I forgot. I had to throw it on after the bike, and it screwed up all my splits, although at least the final time was recorded. I won't make that mistake again. "A" - 4:00; "B" - 4:30; CHIP CHIP CHIP.

On the bike, I've just got to keep moving. I have a habit of settling into an easy, slow pace, and just not pushing myself. The course is pretty flat, other than a couple of sharp turns followed by hills, but I should be able to maintain a pretty good pace. A - 45:00; B - 55:00; JUST KEEP SPINNING.

T2 is much easier. Take off bike shoes, put on running shoes. Take off helmet, put on hat. I don't want to forget my hat, and I don't want to fall over while putting on shoes. A - 1:00; B - 2:00; HAT, BALANCE.

The run will feel terrible. That's the way it is in triathlon. There's something about going from a bike to a run that just feels awful. The weather should be a little cooler than last year, though, so I'll feel less awful. Last year, I did a terrible run. I stopped to walk a lot, and ended up with the 3 miles in 40 minutes. This time, I have to keep moving, and not fall into my comfortably slow pace. It's a race, and if I don't feel like dying when I cross the finish line, than I didn't try hard enough. A - 30:00; B - 33:00; MOVE, BREATHE.

Final: A - 1:45:00; B - 1:55:00. I want to finish faster than the last two times. I'd like to show some improvement. And then, once I'm done, I will go to the diner with my parents and eat my favorite post-race meal: a stack of pancakes, fried eggs over french fries, and a vanilla egg cream. Then a nap. I know I can do that part, I just gotta earn it.

No comments:

Post a Comment