Thursday, September 6, 2012

Peer Observation

We observe each other a lot.

I am tasked with observing veteran teachers in the school, filling out a reflection form, and handing it in. In addition, veteran teachers observe me.

Today, one of the more experienced teachers at school came to watch me. It fits in with our culture of helping each other (so much helping!). I'm pretty sure that my IL asked him to watch me on some of the new things I need to work on because she was in meetings all day, but it was nice to receive extra feedback. And I did receive feedback. In fact, some new compliments and concrete suggestions were already in my inbox by the time my class was dismissed.

I'm tired. This job is exhausting. I love it (so much), but it's such hard work. I hope I'll really get into a routine. I think last week was nervous excitement, and this week is the resulting crash. I bet next week will be more comfortable. I've planned to go to sleep early about three times this week, and it's never happened. Maybe next week.

I finally found a part of my job that I don't love. Detention. It's important, and makes the rest of my job 10 times better (see previous post on homework). It makes kids do homework, and if they don't, they don't leave school until they make it up. It's not a time-waster, it's purposeful and increases achievement. Unfortunately, it's a room full of the "Kids We Love Most" (that's actually what we call them, the KWLMs) who really don't want to be there. It's kind of like juggling, and I can't even enthusiasm them out of it, because I'm not teaching. I'm just overseeing their homework. I did manage to bond with one of the jumpier students, whom I made sit right next to me, but mostly it's just sitting in a room full of silent kids who don't want to be silent. It's draining. But important, it's necessary for the functioning of the awesomeness that is North Star Academy.

Moreover, I managed to push out three miles of jogging. I'm still sore and tired from work, and from Tuesday's sudden desire to start weightlifting again, but I did it anyway. This is the first time in several weeks that I've completed two whole workouts exactly as planned. I'm on my way to being in shape again. I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment