Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Pi Day

Last Thursday, in response to some typical middle school behavior, the principal went all "Mean Girls" on the 6th and 7th grade girls. We had a special girls-only circle, that involved a group discussion about how to be nice to each other. The principal brought up the idea of joining cliques, and the general message was that every conversation you have with friends should be nice enough that you wouldn't be embarrassed if a role model were to overhear.Kids were sharing some insightful suggestions on how to be nice. Every single teacher got at least a little teary-eyed. It brought me back to middle school, and all the hateful things that were said to me and by me. I wish I had had a community like that.

We also had a Pi Day celebration: a pi-reciting contest! The principal circulated around at 11:30 to let us know there was a contest at noon, in front of the kids at lunch. I totally thought I had this -- I am really good at memorization, and I already had the first few digits. By the time lunch came around, I had gotten down the first 52 digits. And then, when it was my time to shine, I choked. It was terrible. I messed up about 25 digits in. Moreover, our DOO came out swinging with about 75 digits. I was humiliated, but the kids comforted me.

I'm so anxious for Spring Break. I've got that last-minute-procrastination itch. I finished my planning load for the week, so I'm all set to grade the big tests tomorrow. Let's go!

In other news, we're taking the kids to Boston! The first week of June, we're taking an end-of-the-year trip. Only the good kids get to go. Activities include a Harvard tour, visit to the Fine Arts Museum, and a performance of In the Heights. I'm worried it'll be stressful, but everyone promises it will be a blast. I'm pretty excited.

The best/worst news of last week is that the grad school (that I might have to attend next year), that was founded by the same founders of North Star/Uncommon, is starting an education administration program. As a result, the wonderful principal at another North Star middle school is leaving to run the new program, leaving an opening for...my IL. So, next year I will have another IL, likely one who won't challenge me as much and keep me on my toes every single day. I know it'll be useful to have a new opinion on my teaching, but I will definitely miss her. Now I have to make the best of the 12 weeks we have left. (12 weeks -- 1 is planned, 1 will be in Boston, which leaves 10 weeks left to plan!)

I gotta run 4 miles tonight. It should be light out, which is great, but I'm nervous to get back into the routine. I have to write it down, though, so it gets done. Hold me accountable.

3.141592653589793238463643383279502884197169399375105

No comments:

Post a Comment