Friday, August 23, 2013

Last Day

So, it is our last work day until school starts. Everyone is running around like chickens. It's crazy and stressful, but also full of camaraderie. Really, though, I just can't wait until it is 4:45 and we can all go to mandatory happy hour. I've finish my "must do" list, and have no hope of even making a dent in my "should do" list. I need to get out of here and relax a bit before go time.

Principal, at our school logistics meeting, in which we discussed all procedures, duties, and schedules for the year: "There will be a lot of information here. For new teachers, the next two hours will feel like drinking from a fire hose. Well, so will the rest of the first year, but especially now."

My big goals this year include building better relationships with students and their parents. I've started by getting a head start on calling half the parents in my homeroom (my homeroom partner will take the other half). In this process, I've had a total diversity moment; that is, I had one of those moments that you watch in diversity training videos. I made an assumption, and could have potential ruined a relationship.

I called the mother of one of my students. The phone rang a few times, and then stopped. It sounded like someone picked up the phone, but I didn't hear anything. After a couple of hellos, I hung up, and chalked it up to an out-of-service phone or wrong number. I then called her dad's number (this is a new skill - previously, if one number didn't work, I'd call it a day and pat myself on the back for trying). A man picked up.

-Hello, is this Mr. _____?
-No, who is this?
-I'm sorry, I must have a wrong number, this is Ms. Z from North Star, calling regarding Student.
-No, I am student's father.
-Oh, I'm sorry, what is your name?
-Mr. _______ [the same name that I had originally asked].
-Oh, okay.
-I screen my calls.
-I understand. I was calling to introduce myself, and to see if Student had any questions about the summer packet [i.e. don't forget the summer packet!].
-Student lives with her mother, so I don't know about the summer packet.
-Oh. I called her, but the call didn't go through.
-She screens her calls too. I'll call her and let her know that it was you calling. She'll call you back.
-Thank you so much! Do you have any quesitons for me?
-Nope.
-Please feel free to call if you want to know about Student's education. [Ugh, what a horrible thing to say.]
-I know about her education, I pick her up from school sometimes.
-Oh, well, then, I can't wait to meet you!

I spent the rest of the day thinking how weird it was that they were so adamant about screening their calls. Then, sometime in the early hours, it occurred to my why they might screen their calls, and felt horrible for judging them. I sincerely hope that it is a habit they have picked up from others who are harassed by collections agencies, and don't have to screen their calls out of necessity. Or, I could just be making more assumptions, and screening calls is the new thing to do. I'm not really the expert on picking up social trends.

I learn something new everyday. But what's more exciting, is that as a "veteran" teacher, I get to teach something new every day. I get to share my proven methods of organization, classroom decoration, and student management. I may not be an expert, but at least I feel like a rock star.

No comments:

Post a Comment