Monday, August 5, 2013

On a Lighter Note

Let me tell you a funny story. Funny for you, that is; not so funny for me.

I went to my Boot Camp class tonight, an was happy to be offered an additional month of membership at a discount. I took out my wallet...and my credit card was missing. I said some words, paid with my other card, and went back to the car to mentally retrace my steps. I last bought something at the local supermarket called Asian Food (fantastic dumplings). I googled the store, called them up, and was transferred through several times before the third person I spoke to told me that they didn't find a credit card there. Crap.

Okay, I definitely bought my once-monthly Starbucks beverage with cash. Out of options. I called the credit card company. I went through the entire automated program, including verifying the last few days' purchases. Last purchase, gas yesterday. Tank was still full, so probably me. Are you sure it's not just misplaced? No, of course not, would I be doing this if it were possible? Press 2 to confirm cancellation. Confirm. You will receive a new one in 5-7 business days. Press 9 to end call. Really? Is hanging up not sufficient these days? 9.

I drive away, and here's where the story gets funny. Yep, you guessed it. I immediately remember what I did with my card. On Sunday, I had volunteered at a triathlon. Rather than carry around my purse all day, I did what I do about once or twice a year: I put $5 and my VISA in my pocket. It's still there, in the pocket, in the hamper. Crap. Boy, do I feel dumb. Oh well. So many worse things could happen.

This morning, I drove up to school to meet with another science teacher and the woman who will be my adviser for all curriculum-planning duties. It was an awesome meeting full of content and inquiry and passion for science. We talked about ways to improve the curriculum to prepare kids for college. Did you know the AP biology curriculum was recently overhauled from a cookbook memorization course, to a course about critical thinking and scientific inquiry? I thought that was pretty awesome, an we're using that as the basis for our own curricula. I then immediately left school, because a school full of friends I hadn't seen all summer is a terrible place for getting any work done.

I also had an awesome run today. I did a 1 mile warm-up, 5 laps around the track in 2:10-2:20 (about a 9 min/mi pace), and then a half mile cool down. I definitely notice that I'm moving more easily these days. It's still tough, but I feel a lot smoother and more comfortable.

And now, I will eat a sandwich while waiting to pick up my fiancé at the airport. And tell him I failed at credit cards today.

No comments:

Post a Comment