Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Relationship Success

Whoa, crazy week.

Monday was a snow day.

Tuesday involved two successes in the parent-relationship department (plus, the student I had success with last week continued to make good decisions). Basically, I used my communication skills to "over-communicate" (making extra phone calls that I wouldn't have made otherwise) about things like missing homework or not-quite-perfect behavior, to repair relationships that I had previously thought broken. It turns out that when parents say things to teachers, they don't actually mean it, and are just blowing off steam about their child's imperfections. Okay, that's not the kindest thing to say, but I've had a few parents say some mean things about me (I have a God-complex), about our systems (you must have lost his homework, three times this week), and about our school (you are all picking on my daughter), and then discovered that a parent may not even remember who I am, a month later. I'm sure I'll understand one day.

I had some great running last weekend (3 miles on Saturday and 1.5 on Sunday, no pain), and have no time this week, so I squeezed in a run last night after school and before dinner with friends. I was afraid to stray to far, so I parked at the restaurant and ran laps up and down a hill right next to the main street area, which was well lit and shoveled. It felt good, and then I stuffed my face with Mexican food. I've been biking pretty consistently too (2-3 times per week). I haven't been so great with swimming (about every other week), but it's better than years past.

Today is a snow day.

Hope we can catch up before IAs next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment