Thursday, February 20, 2014

Quick Update

Okay, very quick update. It's going to be short, though. I went through though the day today with my stress level just one notch above comfortable. It could have to do with the crazy snow-day-testing-make-up stuff, or the fact that I hadn't run in 4 days, or something else.

Testing. I was pretty disappointed with the scores, but some weak points from last year were stronger. I think I need to include some review lessons that discuss big-picture ideas, and that allow students to work with topics they struggle with.

Tonight was my longest evening run ever, 4.5 miles. It gave me a chance to zone out and made me feel like most of my problems were solved.

I'll end with an email thread from today, which shows an inspired moment I had and the respect my superiors show me.

<Me>
I had an idea that might help G and other students with behavior and engagement. G needs to work on consistency – only losing a couple of day, rather than trying to earn all his dollars back at the end of the week. He is also a builder (he is always fidgeting and creating), and I’m thinking of creating a reward system that takes advantage of this. It would look something like this: If G makes it through a day only losing $2 more dollars than he earns (on path to make his paycheck), and completes 1 assignment in Homework Center, I will pull him to work on an “engineering project”. [English teacher] suggested something like this. I think he has a lot of potential to be a really awesome engineer, if he can pass 7th grade first. Is this something I can do, and is it something the school can buy? If it works, I can include other students as well. What do you think?
Thanks,
Robin

<Principal>
OMG yes.  I love this idea – [DOO] can answer your question about purchasing!

<Assistant Principal>
Great idea!  Thinking out of the box, Robin. :) If budgeting is an issue please let me know.  I’d be willing to purchase a kit.

No comments:

Post a Comment