Monday, August 31, 2015

Monday Email

If my coach can send a celebration email on Monday, then I can share my own celebrations.

This weekend, I had some really good workouts, including a 20 mile bike ride followed by a 15 minute run on Saturday, and a hard 9 mile run on Sunday. I'm definitely feeling it, but I'm proud.

I'd also like to shout out my three students who scored 100 on their quiz Friday. Also, my buddy W, who read spectacularly on Friday.

Today has been rough. I didn't sleep well last night, which makes my patience a bit shorter. My first two classes were great, but my afternoon class had struggles. Overall, it was actually really nice - for the first 3/4 of class, the students were absolutely silent and on task (when supposed to be, and talking with partners when they were supposed to be). W was actually keeping up with tracking and hand-raising for the most part. However, my best buddy from last year, we'll call him B, decided he wasn't playing the game today. He sat there and did nothing. I went through the usual consequences, which resulted in his being sent to the dean's office. However, he was sent back to class, I think through a misunderstanding with the dean. At this point, there were no more consequences I could use, so I was unable to enforce my expectations with him. And since I couldn't enforce my expectations with him, I couldn't enforce them with his peers, and the class got a little bit sloppy. It wasn't terrible, but I was not happy to end it this way.

I guess, looking at it now, my classes were 80% great, so I can't complain too much. I have a lot of work to do, but I think it's a manageable amount - it just doesn't seem manageable as a look at a whole week's worth laid out for me on a Monday.

I'm a little intimidated by the weather this week - it's supposed to be over 90 every single day. That will make my runs difficult, and I can't decide whether I should go running before school (very, very early), go right after school at a nearby park (shady, beautiful), or wait until I go home (later, so a little cooler, but not as shady). Tough decisions.

Oh yeah, my husband is back home. It's nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment