Friday, August 14, 2015

Training Update

The week is over (well, mostly; we still have a formal shindig in the city tonight to celebrate 10 years of Uncommon Schools). I've given my "anonymous" feedback on the PD sessions and I'm eager to start a week of logistics and last-minute preparations at my school.

This year, I had one big triathlon accomplishment: in my last race, a sprint tri, I finished VERY close to top half of my age group. I was 28/54, less than 30 seconds from the top half. I am...average! It's been a long journey to average, and I'm proud of it.

I also had a few small accomplishments, including cutting 2 minutes from my half marathon time.

Since my accomplishments do not match the time I've put into this sport, I've decided to work with a coach. I have found three advantages to working with a coach:
1) she pushes me harder than I would on my own
2) she holds me accountable for completing workouts
3) I feel less selfish taking time to train, since she is looking for it as well

Of course, I could do all these things on my own, but I've spent 8 years NOT doing them, so it's time to change.

I had 3 perfect weeks: I finished every single proscribed workout (with the exception of one weight training session that I didn't see on the schedule until the week was already over), and felt (pretty) good doing so. I've been doing more faster bursts in my running and biking, which is really fun.

The fourth week was a bit more challenging, as I had to combat a 24-hour stomach bug and ended up shortening 2 workouts and skipping one weight training session. Still, it's going great overall, and I can't wait to see the improvements in the official records.

This weekend, I have a 20 mi bike ride (with Daddy!) followed by a 15 min run, and then a 9 mi run on Sunday with a few fast miles thrown in. I'm a little nervous about the 9 miles - it's the longest run I've done since my half in April, but I have done 8 this summer and 7 last weekend, so it should be possible. It will involve the challenge of eating (there's no way I can run for almost 2 hours without a snack), so I'll have to pack some applesauce or energy gel. Looking forward to a good training weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment