Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Trouble Day

I didn't have a lot to write about last week, because everything went well. It was incredibly smooth, and I had the best student management Friday I've ever had.

This weekend was also good. I had a nice 11-miler on Saturday (it was finally below 80 for a long run!), and on Sunday, I beat my mile PR by over a minute! I ran a 1-mile race in 7:37! And...it sucked. Every one of those seconds was painful. The weather was perfect - about 68 during the race - but about 10 minutes after I finished, I sweated profusely onto the pavement in Manhattan. And after those awful 7-and-a-half minutes...I felt awesome. And proud.

And then I immediately tried to bike 20 miles. I made it 17.5, slowly. My quads were sore, and my hip achy. But all in all, I'm incredibly proud of my fitness accomplishments this weekend. I think I'm in the best shape ever, and my coach is really helping improve that.

I can't wait to see what happens in my next races, a 5K in two weeks and a half marathon in the end of October. My new mile time makes me hopeful I can break 28 in the 5K, and even (maybe?) 2:20 in the half.

But then today, my day at work was challenging. I was extremely tired - after two nights of family obligations, including last night's cathartic casting away of sins into the Hudson River, and two nights of not great sleep, I was a little bit cranky. The kids were fine, but not great (I think they are craziest on Tuesdays). The lesson was great. I'm still loving teaching new lessons, and today we got to read the story about Archimedes running naked through the streets shouting "Eureka". And then, right in the middle of my second class, right around "Eureka", I knocked my brand new computer onto the floor.

We get a new work computer every three years. The computers are not the greatest, not the most expensive, and not the shiniest, but they do the job. Last year, in the third year of my Lenovo's lifespan, I struggled. I crashed Windows through an abundance of open Word documents and Chrome tabs about once per week, and spend a lot of my day waiting for the computer to boot up in the morning and for Office to save documents to the server. When I received my new computer in the last week of school, I was thrilled. It was amazing and fast and everything I had spent all year wanting.

Until today, when I dropped it. The class gasped, and I laughed it off. And then I picked up the computer, dusted it off--and it still worked! It was a little slow to respond, but that's probably trackpad issues.

And then it got slower, and slower, until Word crashed. So I rebooted. And that was the last it ever saw. I rebooted. And rebooted. And it never reloaded Windows. And I called tech support. And I ate some Easy Mac. And I did some work on a desktop next to a student in Computers class.

And now I have a new computer. A new new computer. It's actually a little less nice than the old new computer, but it'll do. And I'm back to work, with only a couple of hours lost, so not too bad, all in all.

But, I was sleepy and cranky and the kids were extra middle-schooly today, and I'm proud that I didn't cry when my computer didn't boot up. At least I get to run today!

No comments:

Post a Comment