Friday, September 25, 2015

Yom Kippur

Today I had a very satisfying teacher moment. I called on a student, and one of the students was not tracking the speaker. I had just taken a big gulp from my oversized mug, but raised my eyebrows at the not-tracking student, who then looked at the speaker. I managed my classroom ONLY WITH MY EYEBROWS. Definitely could not have done that 4 years ago.

This week, I had an opportunity to exercise my right as an American to not give my business to a company that I don't like. I have had a frustrating time over the past week with my renter's insurance company and their awful customer service, so I cancelled my policy and opened one with another company. It only cost me about 90 minutes total, and I felt quite proud. When asked why I cancelled, I wrote only "Appalling customer service." Don't buy insurance from Assurance.

In other news, GEICO customer service is pretty great. Give them business.

I managed to get over my cold just in time for Yom Kippur, which derailed my workouts for the week, but gave me a nice day of relaxing and atoning. As with every Yom Kippur, I spend the morning wondering if fasting is really meaningful, or if I am just taking part in a weird archaic ritual. But then, as the afternoon wears on, the hunger makes me...actually feel repentant. I came up with some New Years' Resolutions in that time, while also fantasizing about every meal I've ever enjoyed. Here is my New Years' Resolution: When I make a mistake, admit it. Fix it for next time. Don't justify or defend myself, and don't feel guilty.

I had a couple of opportunities to implement this on Thursday at school, one with a student and one with a parent, and they worked out well. I think this will help my relationship-building go more smoothly.

This week's workouts have been weak, but I have plans to do my long run tomorrow (11 miles, 3 of them fast). Next week, I'm back to 100% workouts. Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment