Thursday, February 7, 2013

An Email I Sent This Evening

Ms. L____________,

I was so happy to see your name in the staff directory. I was thinking about you today, when I was out on my evening run, and I kicked some sort of pinecone. It made me think about different seed dispersal mechanisms, and how I collected and studied different types of seeds in kindergarten. I think my career path was set on that day. I also remember how to crack eggs open, and that sitting on wax paper makes the slide more fun. I realized I think about you quite often, and not just when I kick pinecones and crack eggs, but also when I am talking to one of my students and thinking about how much I can't wait to see them in 20 years.

It's been 20 years since I was in your class. I think I saw you briefly when I was in high school, although I don't remember why. I've since graduated from Brown (twice!) with a couple of degrees in biology. I tried biomedical research for a bit, but it didn't work out, and now I'm loving my life in my second year teaching middle school science, now teaching 7th graders at North Star Academy in Newark. I try every day to remember what you taught me, that learning and concrete objectives and challenges can be hidden in games and puzzles. My students are amazing and I can't wait to see what they'll be like in 20 years.

Best Wishes,
R____________________
Heights School Kindergarten Class of '93

No comments:

Post a Comment