Sunday, February 17, 2013

Successes

I'll just keep writing, because my Skype tutoring student hasn't showed yet. I ended the last post on a bit of a low note, so I'd like to share my successes.

Science Fair Club. We had our first meeting on Friday. I spent a lot of time preparing, and ended up walking into the meeting thinking, What was I thinking? I could've spent all this time grading the exams and planning. This is the last place I want to be.

That thought ended quickly. I had 15 eager students in my classroom, busting with new ideas. We tossed around some ideas about how science helps our every days lives. I introduced them to the Google Science Fair, shared the rules, and showed them a video about last year's winner. We then went to the computer lab to search for ideas. The kids were eager, although it was a little bit disorganized. I don't know how many of the kids will finish projects, or if they can win anything, but I spent 90 blissful minutes with a roomful of 12-year-olds who had it in their heads that they could help the world. That is why I do what I do.

I also had another (almost) 100% workout week. I say almost, because my swim was cut in half due to the pool closing, but I also threw in 30 minutes of yoga. In the last week, I ran 15 miles, biked almost 2 hours, swam 900 yards, and did 30 minutes of yoga. I worked hard this weekend especially.

Yesterday, I enjoyed a glorious 6 mile run. It was chilly, but running outside is a world away from running on a treadmill. I found a paved running path near my Saturday SAT class, and just sort of zoned out for an hour to the sounds of A Confederacy of Dunces. I'm not loving the audiobook, and I absolutely detest the protagonist, but it's low effort listening, and it's a book I'll be happy to cross off my list. The run wasn't too difficult, although my knees are a little bit achy. After the run, I went to the Y to swim, but only got in 900 yards before the pool closed. I think I need to either move the run to before SAT class (and then shower, and then get dressed), or move the swim to Sunday. Either way, it means more showering per weekend.

This morning, I got out of bed before 8 and went to a spin class at the Y. It definitely allowed me to push myself harder than I normally would on a bike indoors, although the suburban spin community is not necessarily the friendliest bunch. I have to decide whether I want to make this class a regular thing. I might stick with it until it gets warm enough to go outside (I can't decide if I'm waiting until it's 40+ or 50+ degrees to ride). I then hopped on the treadmill for 2.5 miles and joined a yoga class. I did not like the yoga class. The instructor just didn't do it for me, so I left after 30 minutes.

That makes this my highest-mileage running week (I think ever), of 15 miles. That gives me an average of 10.7 miles per week so far in 2013, which is exciting. Last year, I was pushing for the 10 miles. This year, I'm above 10 miles, and that takes into account two easy weeks so far (every third week). I'm at 32.2 miles for February, and it's only the 17th, so I should be able to easily beat my all-time best of 50 in a month, even with a rest week next week.

I'm a little achier than usual. My left knee is sore, and I'm not sure if I have a tight calf or the start of shin splints. I've had two consecutive "build" weeks, where I've really increased volume. I was hoping to do three build weeks and then a rest week, but I might have to rest early. I'll decide during Tuesday's run. I guess two build weeks is still a personal best. If I'm still achy on Tuesday, I'll make it an easy week.

Now that I'm looking back at my past few weeks' mileage, it looks like I've done well with a rest week every third week. As much as it hurts my pride, my big goal is to make it through the year with out taking any forced time off (like I have in the last 4 years for injured shoulders, knees, ankles, and shins). Rest week it is. Nonetheless, I've worked hard, and I'm proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment