Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Weekly Update

Blogging is a good thing to do during detention, because it doesn't take up my attention quite like planning or grading does. However, today's detention is especially boring (1 red, 2 yellows, and 2 greens), so I've got nothing to say about it.

It's getting to be that time of the year. It's too far away from September, but too far away from June. Everyone is sad and cranky and tired. Fortunately, I've learned how to inject joy into my classroom. In fact, last Thursday's faculty meeting focused on making the classroom more joyful. I even got a shout out for my Lab Coat Fridays! I've learned, and noticed since then, that when I get excited about the content, so do the kids. On Friday, I introduced my lesson as, "I'm so excited, this is my favorite lesson. Today we get to connect the lines on our speed vs. time graphs!" Several kids rolled their eyes, as 7th graders do, but one kid, the type of student who can score a B if he's really on his game, made a fist and whispered, "Yes!" If they can get excited about it, so can I.

This Saturday night, we had our annual staff karaoke night. Since we're a 100% school, I made sure to attend. We only ended up with about 75% of the staff there, but it was still riotous fun, including the principal and my IL and the DOO (and the secretary and most of the teachers). The best part was that most of the songs chosen were not recent pop songs that I never heard before. There was a lot of Disney, and somebody (it wasn't me, really) instigated an 8-or-so person rendition of Defying Gravity. There also might have been a drink or two.

Not only did I realize how amazing it is to work with such a good group of people, I also realized that I'm no longer 18 and can't go out like that regularly. I spent a lot of Sunday being not-too-happy, and I'm still pretty tired today. Totally worth it, though.

This week is another 100% week in workouts. I think I can. I already started with tonight's run moved to last night, because the weather was so nice. I did 3.5 miles at a 10:26 pace, which is a little longer and faster than usual. I had worried that my times were slowing down due to the higher volume, but an easy week brought me back up to par. Tonight, I'll do a 45 minute easy bike ride (or however long it takes to watch this week's episode of Bunheads). I'm really hoping to go to sleep before 9 tonight. I'll be proud when I can go to sleep early after finishing 2/7 of my workouts for the week!

This week is going to be a week of distance records. 16 miles of running, 1 mile of swimming, and hopefully a 15 mile bike ride in the real outdoors (45 and sunny on Saturday) + 1:15 riding indoors. I think I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment