Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Cross Training

Last Thursday, we went on a field trip to a roller skating rink. It was really, really fun, and really exhausting. I had a blast chasing down kids, but called it a day after I got taken out from behind by a very small fifth grader. I rubbed my bruised elbow and gave back the roller skates. Still, I earned some cool points with my kids by giving it a shot. Counts as cross-training, right?

On Friday, we had a bunch of visitors from London and New Orleans, taking a look at our school to see how awesome we are. They are all school leaders, looking to improve their school. It was fun having visitors, because the kids always like to show off.

I had an awesome moment during class. We were learning about evolution (it was great - I pretty much summed it up as "DNA changes over time + DNA determines characteristics = characteristics change over time") and the kids were engaged in a really challenging reading, Common Core-style. Just then, a giant spider crawled across a desk! The student leaped out of his chair and screamed. I grabbed his folder, killed the spider, cleaned it with a tissue, and added a few dollars to the paychecks of those students who were still working urgently. Back on task in 10 seconds flat--just at the moment the visitors walked in.

A kindly British fellow was so impressed with the way the students were able to be told "Write Harvard Notes" and they were able to write formal outline-style notes with no further explanation. It took a lot of work, but I'm proud of my students (and myself) for getting to that point. I promised to send some lesson plans to the British dude.

Since Thursday, I've had some very successful and challenging workouts. Thursday, it was rainy, and I wasn't hopeful about my ability to run 4 x 5-min intervals between 9:35 and 9:45 min/mi. I hopped on the treadmill, set up some SVU, and finished with time to spare (did intervals at 9:30 pace).

Even after Friday's rest, I was wary of Saturday's workout, which was my first long run with speed work thrown in (according to the training plan I found on the internet). I was set to do a seven mile run, with miles 4-6 done at 10:15-10:30 min/mi. That's a pretty challenging pace, only about 30 seconds per mile faster than my fastest ever 5K. So not only did I have to do 3 miles, it was after another three miles, and before another mile. But, I did it, and it was fun! I enjoyed the challenge and it felt good. I was pretty sore afterwards, but the good kind of sore. And I managed the quick 3-mile part at 10:11 min/mi. That's only :33 per mile more than I hope to run a 5K next weekend (9:38 min/mi), and I won't have to run 3 miles first. I think I can do it.

Sunday, it was very windy, so I postponed my bike ride. I did get in a very slow and sore 2.5-mile run, to top off my highest mileage week yet (17.3 miles)! I got the bike ride in on Monday (Yay long weekend!), for an exhausting 20-miler. After that whole weekend, I was asleep at 8PM on Monday night.

Next update will include details of my first EMS shifts in nearly a year. There were drunks and poop.

Right now, I'm watching the 7th grade dress rehearsal of Urinetown. 'nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment