Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Detention Pains

Okay, one more complaint: last night I was eating Chinese food, that was not crunchy, and not sticky, and one of my fillings broke. I think I ate it. I've got a dentist appointment this Thursday. Fortunately, it won't be too much trouble to leave the staff meeting a few minutes early. I really, really hope they can fix it in one shot. I do not want another root canal.

Once again, I tried to go to sleep early, but it didn't work. Tonight, though. Definitely tonight.


Today we did more analyzing of a journal article, and it was still fun. This article was on the efficacy of the seasonal flu vaccine. Sure, I might be propagandizing my students. I'm going to end up with a class full of kids who will not be obese, who will get vaccinated, and who will be able to analyze scientific journal articles. Not bad.

Detention is a pain, but I'll deal with it. I'm really excited for curriculum planning tomorrow, though.

The most frustrating part of detention today is that I'm sitting next to a 5th grader who is permanently kicked out of 5th grade detention. Today he's playing the "look at me" game - he is making as many weird noises as he can, and talking to himself, hoping to get kicked out. I'm giving him the silent treatment. It's a little satisfying, but mostly annoying. Now he's promising that he has to go to the bathroom and it's an emergency. He's lying, of course, because I told him that he couldn't go until he finished his history homework, and if he really had to go, he'd be working on his homework instead of spinning the paper around and muttering to himself. I will never teach 5th grade. 7th graders, at least, do less of the stupid stuff like that, and more of the pubescent emotional short-temper stuff.

He's stopped making noise. I hope it lasts.

Yesterday evening, I got in the car, and immediately started negotiating my workout with myself. Nope. No negotiation. I posted it on my blog, so it must be done 100%. And it was.

Tonight, I have a 4-miler with some strides. My legs are pretty heavy from last night's pseudo-hills on the trainer, but I'll manage.

No comments:

Post a Comment