Monday, May 6, 2013

EMS

This is a special EMS-themed episode.

I started off my weekend by stopping by the South Plainfield EMS headquarters, despite my fears of new social situations. I happened to catch the duty crew before they left to grab dinner, and chatted a little bit about the organization. Most importantly, they NEED EMTs. Even though I was not yet a NJ EMT, I knew what I was doing, and reciprocity would go through soon (note the past tense. More exciting details at the end).

I would have to commit to a monthly meeting and one night duty shift per week. (They have enough volunteers to staff evenings, and hire out the daytime shifts.) I am currently limited to the Friday night shift, because it runs 7a-7p, and I have to be in Newark on weekdays at 7a. I would also have to do every 6th (or so) Saturday. I'd eat and sleep there for the night, which is much easier than having to blue-light it down there for every call. It looks like a nice community, and unlike other organizations I've seen, they seem respectful to women. In fact, there were even women in leadership positions. And I felt valued, before I even put in my application. They went to get me an application, but I already had one filled out that I had printed off their website. They asked why I chose Plainfield instead of Piscataway, and I told them the truth: I googled, and this is what I found. Their website had information, which I couldn't find about Piscataway. It's probably closer to me than any of the Piscataway stations, anyway, because I live right near the city line.

Saturday morning, I attempted a steady (easy + a little bit) 6-miler, but failed dismally. I wasn't feeling great, I had to many blintzes for breakfast, and 1.5 miles in I tripped over the curb and face-planted. Ugh. Does this keep having to happen? This time, though, I didn't feel like a vampire slayer. I felt like an 8-year old, and sat on the curb for a minute moping, before walking back home. As a result of a sore shoulder and much skin lost, I cancelled my swim as well.

Fortunately, my day improved after I was invited back to the EMS station to meet the officers. Everyone seems cool. It's a good community and I can't wait to join. I got some paperwork, and now all I need is a physical and drug test.

Sunday, I tried my run again, and I kicked it's butt. I ran the whole thing 30 seconds per mile faster than I had started on Saturday, to finish off my week's 16 miles. It felt so easy, that I thought the GPS was giving me bad data. But nope, the data stayed consistent, and I even checked the map later to make sure. 10k in 1:10. Plus 60 minutes on the bike trainer with Grey's Anatomy.

I was once again happy I didn't do the 5-boro  Bike Tour, because the tour ended up being held up for a while for a medical emergency. It turns out that a man died of a heart attack on the tour. Besides, it was a little chilly for a long ride.

This morning was frustrating. A particular student, who is very bright, but has ADHD, has been apparently off his meds for the last couple of weeks. He came in this morning bouncing off the walls, and I didn't want him around for a lab that involved boiling water and glass flasks, so I sent him to the dean. Unfortunately, the dean's office was closed, because 5th and 6th grades are testing this week, so I had to keep him in the back of the room, where he whispered and pouted and joked the entire time. It was really frustrating. After showing the same behavior in history class, my IL and I pulled him out of lunch and gave him a stern lecture (she lectured, I watched and learned) and had him practice entering class and following directions. My IL is very good at making students feel the right amount ashamed and the right amount inspired to improve.

This afternoon, I had some surprise good news: my EMT reciprocity was granted! Not only that, but due to my RI EMT-C certification (which I never thought would be good for anything), I don't have to take a NJ refresher. I am all good to go. I shared this with South Plainfield EMS, and they invited me to join their monthly meeting next Monday. Yay! I'm back!

Now I'm too excited to grade these persuasive essays. Poo.

No comments:

Post a Comment