Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Punnett Planing

I didn't quite get done today what I had hoped. I'm somewhere on my to-do list in between "hafta" and "wanna". Today, I graded 45 lab reports and 40 persuasive essays. I wanted to have finished another lab reports, to polish off the set, but I didn't have it in me. I worked really hard on grading for a while this morning, and that's all I've got. Besides, I was far too eager to begin planning my favorite lesson of all time, Punnett Squares! I have that on the calendar for next Thursday and I CAN'T WAIT.

Today was a physics review lesson. I love the review game. The kids get so excited and energetic in a productive, cooperative way. I love seeing how long I can keep them at the edge of their seats, silently and not-so-patiently waiting for the next question. They get so competitive in school. It's great to watch. I have pretty high hopes for the test tomorrow, although as usual, I worry about what the lazy-low students will do. Not the studying-low students. They will pull their consistent 60s-70s, some higher since really taking to physics. There are just a few students whose grades have slowly slid downwards over the year, as the "I don't study" attitude catches up with them. These are the kids who will pull 40s and 50s on the test. I wish I knew what to do, beyond offering extra credit, after-class tutoring, and parent phone calls.

I had one issue with a student today, who sort of flicked the pen of another student. He got a nice lecture from my IL, for invading the privacy of another student. He was reminded how lucky he is that we are in a place that the culture is such that students don't respond to a physical confrontation. We are lucky.

There's been a lot of love in this blog post. I think a large part is due to the fact that in 9 months, my boss(es) have yet to be anything but supportive. I have yet to be humiliated in front of my colleagues, students, or students' parents. Damn, this life is good.

Now, to go running with some awesome colleagues!

No comments:

Post a Comment