Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Cruising

I went on a cruise; it was awesome. I found countless ways to sit and read (and drink (and eat)). We visited Bermuda and found new ways to sit and read. I only gained 3 pounds. Highlights include: main dining hall on the ship was 1940's art deco style with a dance floor and live band; a table on the deck outside a jazz and blues club where we spent a lot of time; snorkeling at a coral reef.

I'm feeling the anxiety of almost-school. This is my last week of absolutely nothing. Next week, I begin my journey towards teacher certification - in New Jersey. New Jersey refused to accept my CT cert, and not for any good reason, but because they have nothing equivalent to "Secondary General Science", so I get to start the process all over again. Class starts Monday - Wednesday of next week in Newark, and then continues about three times per month (Saturdays and Thursdays). I'm getting frustrated just talking about it.

I've heard great things about this program (Relay Graduate School of Education). It was founded by the founders of North Star/Uncommon. They do a good job. Of course, it will be frustrating going through a process that will be almost identical to what I did with 1) Teach for America, and 2) SCSU and CT certification. I don't expect it to be difficult at all, just time consuming. I plan to excel at everything, and be modest about it. Ha.

Can I just complain about one thing? On the Relay website, my password requires a capital letter, lowercase letter, number, and symbol. Is that really necessary? Here's what I think.

I have been trying to spend my time training as I please, with no plan or schedule. The hardest part is not planning or scheduling. Okay, just a little scheduling. It's only a little color-coded.

Yesterday I went for an early-morning, still cool out, but also humid, 3-mile run. It was nice and relaxing, but I'm still super slow from the heat (or so I keep telling myself...). In the afternoon, I bought a LivingSocial deal for 1 month of fitness classes for $40 at a location about 20 minutes from home.

I also got a clean bill of health from my doctor ("Congratulations on your engagement! You're an Ashkenizic Jew? You should probably get your blood tested." "Yeah, no thanks. Not worried about that quite yet...or for a while."), and joined my mom for an hour of flipping through bridal magazines and eating sushi. It was a pretty great hour.

I got home in time to grab some groceries and put together chicken chili in my brand new slow-cooker (Thank you, you know who you are!). I am thoroughly enjoying coming home almost every day to a new package from Crate and Barrel. I should get engaged every year!

Yesterday evening, while the slow cooker cooked slowly, I tried out my first fitness class - Boot Camp. It was a blast. Four women were alternately motivated and yelled at. We did lots of fitness-y things like lunge squat walk plant push-ups (or something) and raising light weights too many times. I have endurance, but no strength. I was actually happy to take jumping-jack breaks. It was like a personal trainer for less money than a personal trainer. It really does help to have a person there, to put a hand on your sweaty back, to tell you to stand up straight, or to stop being a wimp. I worked hard to impress teacher, and pushed myself harder than I would on my own.

Boot Camp was fun, and I plan on doing a TRX Suspension Class on Wednesday (I can't explain what it is -- because I'm not too sure. Try the Wikipedia link). I like that this fitness spot only does monthly memberships, so I can go many times a week. They have classes at convenient times (6:30-7:30 PM, my usual workout time) and the location is not bad. Membership is a little expensive for my taste, though (about $79/month), and I think I'd rather spend more time running and biking. I only have until August 3, 2014 to get another chance to defeat the NYC Triathlon bike portion. I'm gonna do it, too.

The good news is that I got my bike computer fixed, and found out about a local bike club that has 3-4 bike rides of various levels and distances EVERY DAY! (If you're in the central Jersey area, check out the Morris Area Freewheelers.) Unfortunately, I got out of the dentist about 10 minutes too late to make the group ride tonight, so I had to settle for a kick-ass interval run (very proud, very tired, despite sore muscles).

Right now, about 24 hours after Boot Camp, my muscles are starting to shout. I hope I don't have any need to raise my arms above my head in the next 24 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment