Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Training Peak

Training has been going smoothly. I'm already starting to mark off last long workouts before the triathlon in 12 days. 12 days!

Last week was a strong week with just over 9 hours of training. Not quite my 10.5 goal, but still my highest training week ever. I had a second long ride with a different friend, and it was just as wonderful. I've noticed that I can bang out a two-hour ride and it doesn't wreck me for the day. I was also proud of a 42 mile week.

I had a total of 18 miles of running last week, which is my personal best. More importantly, other than some tiredness, there is absolutely no pain. None!

Swimming was the area that was weak. For one swim, I tried to save time by swimming in the pool at my apartment complex. It was small (~18-20 yards), which makes it feel a little like swimming on a treadmill, but I thought I could manage. It turned out to be the least of my issues -- there were kids everywhere! They couldn't figure out that I was swimming back and forth along the same edge. Once they started jumping off the side, repeatedly, without looking, I decided that i didn't want to risk getting jumped on. I stuck it out for 20 minutes. For my Friday swim, I was going to go to my parents' community pool (empty 25-yard lanes! outdoors!), but realized that I left my pool card in NJ. I didn't want to show them my driver's license, and point out that I am no longer a resident of the town, so I skipped the swim and saved it for the hotel in NYC (did I mention that we went on vacation?). At least the hotel and a lane marked off, and the woman working there even helped shoo away kids from the lap lane. This pool was even smaller, though (~15 yards), and I felt more hamster-wheel in this one. I suffered for 30 minutes before calling it a day.

This week, I'm off to a very strong start. Yesterday I managed a mind- and butt- numbing 3 hour ride on the trainer due to thunderstorms. I went out this morning for the same interval workout as last Tuesday, but slightly less successful this time. I think the humidity was about 150%, or so it felt. I had a nice swim this afternoon. I'm going for 11 hours of training this week, before I begin my taper.

I had a fantastic weekend with family. I have stories to tell, but I've been pretty lazy. The stories will come, I promise.


No comments:

Post a Comment