Thursday, September 19, 2013

Detention Updates

Okay, the classes are definitely becoming less easy to manage. I guess the honeymoon period of the school year is over. Behavior management is more effort, and I can't decide whether that is the cause or result of my exhaustion this week. So tired.

I earned 10 points today for having a lunch date with the student who threw a tantrum the other day. I wanted to help rebuild our relationship, and I actually had a good time. I learned about her career aspirations to be a fashion model or corrections officer (like her aunt). TFA would be so proud of me.

I think this is just one of those weeks. I raced through the first three weeks eagerly, and my energy is coming crashing down. I should probably be impressed - I think last year I felt like this by the end of week 1. I also haven't really gotten in a good workout. I'm generally sort of sore and achy, especially my feet, ankles, back, knees, and everything else that might be used in walking or standing. I plan on having a better week next week.

Fortunately, tonight is our monthly staff dinner adventure (organized by me, including about 6-8 teachers). Tonight is Indian food. I can't wait. I think I'll start dreaming about it now.

I have so much detention this week. There's my usual Tuesday afternoon detention, plus Wednesday and Friday lunch detention. Also, I'm up for the rotating Thursday detention. Yay.

Detention today wasn't quite as smooth as usual today. This year, Homework Center (after school program for students who are less than consistent with their homework) is only Monday - Wednesday, so detention is fuller today than on Tuesday. It takes a lot more effort on my part.

And EVERYONE needs help with something or other. Or maybe just attention. Could that be it?

I've learned a few tricks. For example, no students are allowed to raise hands until detention work is handed out. Additionally, nobody can ask to use the bathroom until one assignment is completed. By that point, they usually get so distracted by their work that they don't need to go anymore. Funny how that works.

The last two lessons were on calculating slope, which was a huge challenge last year. I probably had 3 or 4 review/reteach days last year. This year (although I haven't graded the exit tickets yet, so I don't have any real data) is so much more successful. After the first 2-day lesson, I have (I think) 70-80% mastery, compared to last year's 40-50%. Although, tomorrow's quiz will be the real judge.

I love the last five minutes of detention, when students are tired of fighting, and are just doing their homework. It's quiet, productive, and makes me feel like a good teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment