Tuesday, September 17, 2013

One of Those Days

This was one of those days. And not even the whole day, just the last class. And that class was awful.

Okay, since I'm an awesome teacher, the first 10 minutes were a disaster, the next 25 were a little rough, and the end was actually pretty good. But it was rough for a while. Whenever students decide to feed off each other, especially at the end of the day, it spirals downhill very quickly. I don't know what to do if a student starts being ridiculous, and then (loudly) asks to go the the dean's office because I'm bothering her. Do I give her what she wants? Or keep her in class to disturb the class? I opted to keep her in the back of the room for 10 minutes, so she would go to the dean's office on my terms, but it ended up costing a lot of class time lost to other student's feeding off her tantrum.

Okay, it's not that good of a story, I think I'm just over-tired. I got angry, although did an okay job of not losing my temper. Better than last year, anyway, and at the very least, I had that class 100% for the last 20 minutes. We got (mostly) done what we needed to do.

And now, students keep trying to come up with excuses to get out of detention. (Can I go ask this teacher for this thing? No, I'll help you. Can I go get this resource for my homework? Let me see your homework - you don't need that.) They're not going anywhere. I am the ruler of detention!

Yes, I really need sleep. I haven't slept well the last couple of nights. I don't think it's stress - I've actually been unusually relaxed for this job lately. Hopefully, I'll get some catch-up sleep tonight.

I can't decide whether to run tonight. I'm in the "off-season", so I should be a little more relaxed about running. I also can push this week from a T-Th-Sa-Su to a W-F-Sa-Su instead. I'm really sore from Sunday's weight lifting (and kickball). I'm not 100% sure that it's all muscle sore and not knee sore, so I should probably take a rest. You know what? I'll compromise. I'll hop on the bike trainer for a half hour and call it even.

No comments:

Post a Comment