Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Week 2

Time for another Tuesday afternoon detention update. Only, today's detention is totally under control. Actually, everything is totally under control.

For the most part, my classes are running really smoothly. I have a lot more engagement, a lot less off-task behavior, and it takes much less effort on my part. This third-year thing is awesome so far. Of course, we haven't had any assessments yet, so who knows?

I get to do everything over again, and I get to do it better. For example, today I taught my kids how to write a lab report, but I knew what to teach and what to reinforce and what to emphasize. I did a better job of scaffolding. I haven't seen the finished product yet, but I have high hopes.

I want the kids this year to learn how to follow directions. It'll save me a lot of headaches and phone calls if they learn to read the *&@$ directions on their own. As lesson #1, I put the following on their homework over the weekend: Directions: This week, you will begin learning how to write a lab report. Actively read this passage about the importance of lab reports. Answer questions 1-3 in complete sentences. Leave question 4 blank to show that you read these directions.

About half the kids did #4. It was remarkably satisfying to point it out to them during class today.

I still really, really like this school. For many reasons.

First, this morning's circle was a discussion of current events in Syria. With 7th and 8th graders. Yeah, our school is that cool. Additionally, I received these two emails this weekend:

Hey Robin,

Just checking – do you need any time this Wednesday for Rosh Hashanah? Or want to leave a bit early or anything?

Let me know if so! J

[Director of Operations]

Hi Robin,

Thanks for sending Week 4 lesson plans so freaking early!  You rock!
Attached with (minimal) feedback.  They look great!

[Principal]

I didn't run this weekend, but that is because I did a 10-mile hike and spent the rest of the weekend being happy and sore. I plan to return to my regularly scheduled (but relaxed, not really scheduled) running program today! If my feet stop hurting!


No comments:

Post a Comment