Saturday, October 26, 2013

Dinosaurs

The trip to the museum was AWESOME. The kids were extremely engaged, and got as excited about dinosaurs as I had hoped. The IMAX about penguins was surprisingly entertaining. Some other groups had drama, but I like to think that I had an easier time because I am so excited about everything. That is probably at least partly true.

Of course, it was very stressful as well. As co-trip leader, I was 50% responsible for making sure every student ended up safe and back at VMS at the end of the day. There was a lot of counting kids, counting kids, counting kids.

My favorite moment of the day, though, was on the bus ride there. We had just driven through the Lincoln Tunnel (SO happy I don’t commute to NYC), and the kids noticed a man peeing on the side of an underpass. Of course, they all get excited and giggly about it. It’s early, and I’m tired, so I respond with, “That’s what happens when you don’t go to college.” And the best thing happened: a small, quiet, special ed student stands up, and shouts out the window: Get an education!

Best job in the world.

I was supposed to meet with a parent that afternoon, but she never showed. Fortunately, her daughter showed a huge turn-around in behavior the very next day. I hope it doesn’t end immediately after her birthday party this weekend, when she has or hasn’t received sufficient gifts from her mother. I have to figure out how to keep her engagement up even when there aren’t gifts riding on her behavior – maybe point out how well she does when she tries (hopefully, yesterday’s quiz grade will support this).

The rest of the week was especially busy, will a ton of grading, lesson planning, and one less day of work due to the trip (and Friday’s half day for PD).

My running goal was 15 miles this week. I did 3.33 on Tuesday (pretty fast and hilly), 3 on Wednesday (sloooooow and sore), 5.67 on Saturday, and I’m hoping for a final 3 on Sunday to make a solid 15. I can do it.


“Science educators are thus charged with two tasks: not only must they help students learn the correct, scientific theory at hand, but they must also help students unlearn their earlier, less accurate theories.”

No comments:

Post a Comment