Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Weekly Detention Updates

It's detention. They're quiet now. Let's take a moment for reflection.

This morning I met with another science teacher to give her some tips for her lab. I think the best advice I gave was: It will get easier. You'll keep working just as hard, because as you get better, your standards get higher, but there's less stress about it. The swings between best class and worst class are smaller. You notice that, in November or December, you suddenly start sleeping better. It gets better.

I wish I had heard that advice in my first year.

I am similarly upset by my bad classes (in fact, I had one today), but "bad" is wayyyyyyyyyyyy better than it used to. Today, I had assisted with PE (our PE teacher broke his ankle), and had difficulty resetting the class before science. It ended with a pretty hard reset, and an exhausted and discouraged class pushing through mechanical weathering.

I went to Atlantic City last Friday...and fell asleep at 9:30. Whoops. Fortunately, I ended up about breaking even, so it was all good. I even managed a good 6-miler after I got home on Saturday afternoon. I'm pretty happy building up my long runs again. It feels good and I feel strong.

We lost our kickball game. Sports are much less fun when I'm not winning (except running, I never win at running).

Yesterday, even though it was supposed to be a rest day, I threw in an extra run. It was only 1.5 miles, but I'm hoping I can get into a routine of running more days than not. I've been pretty weak at consistency since getting back to school (sometimes I feel like consistency at work and home are mutually exclusive), but I'm going to change that. Running at least 4 times a week. But still not allowed to track miles. I want to track miles so badly. But, no.

No comments:

Post a Comment