Thursday, June 16, 2011

Boot Camp

It's nearing time for Institute, and in 2 1/2 weeks I'll be standing in front of a class. What I'm thinking is:

WHO THOUGHT IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO PUT ME IN CHARGE OF A CLASSROOM OF CHILDREN?

They tell me I can do it. I hope so.

Today was my last day tutoring. I wish my students the best of luck on the Earth Science Regents exam tomorrow, and I know they'll do great.

I have a student with a particularly clever sense of humor, who was being funny today:

Me: What is the geocentric model of the universe?
Student: Everything revolves around...ME.

Me: What is one way to reduce global warming?
Student: Shoot all the cows. Reduce methane emissions.
Me: I guess...that is correct.

I hope this will prepare me for Institute. After one week of introductions in Meriden, CT (Induction) and one week of training, we start teaching. I'll be teaching in my subject assignment, which means I'll be in a 7th, 8th, or 9th grade science class. Probably, Earth Science. Our day includes teaching, feedback, and professional development. There are many, many hours of work. Institute has been compared to boot camp, so I'm sure it will prepare me for teaching in September.

They tell me I won't get a lot of sleep in Institute, which terrifies me. I have anxiety about not getting enough sleep.

Good luck to my students. Good luck to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment