Sunday, June 26, 2011

Institute: Day 1

Institute has begun. I arrived at St. John's University with 600 other new Corps Members from Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York City, Detroit, and Newark and received a giant packet full of curriculum-planning materials.

I will be teaching...Biology/Living Environment! I will be at a small school in the south Bronx (that has air conditioning!). I can't wait to begin. I also can't wait to tell my students next year that I used to teach in the Bronx. Badass points for me.

The dorms at St. John's are cozy, but my roommate is cool and we have a nice common area. I'm housed with all of the other CTers.

After a weekend of relaxing (and eating...and drinking...), it's tough to get back in the swing of things, but they're starting us off easy. This evening, we had an introduction program, a series of 5 short speakers that was actually inspiring. Either it was a great program, or I've been successfully and motivationally brainwashed into being an excited TFA CM. Because I am.

We've been given the next 18 hours off, for settling in to campus. I will probably look into what I can do to get ahead on my work, because they say it'll be a tough 5 weeks. 1 day down, 32 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment