Wednesday, June 29, 2011

It's My Party

Today I'm 24.

And it felt like I woke up as a 9-year-old. Our morning lessons were a little oversimplified and condescending, but this afternoon we finally got to do work!

I have planned my lesson for next Wednesday. After my collaborative teaching partner (collab) teaches a one-hour lesson on the scientific method, it's my chance to enlighten my students on independent variables, dependent variables, and controls. Though it's not the most thrilling aspect of science, it might be the most important aspect of science, and I'd like to convey that to my students.

I finished my lesson plan about a half hour after our workshop ended. I put a good amount of work into it, but didn't pour my heart and soul into it, because I'm sure it will get a load of criticisms no matter what. I'm actually pretty proud of how it turned out, starting with my vision for the day and ending with my assessment. I get to give tests! Yay! Schadenfreude!

Finishing early allowed me to celebrate my birthday with one drink at a local bar (dry campus), which was adorned with a poster that said "Welcome Teach for America 2011". It's like they know us.

I'm 24!

After my drink, I returned back to the dorm to reformat my lesson plan and send it to my corps member adviser (CMA) for review, and then help my boyfriend with his medical school applications.

Tomorrow, we get to go to our schools to meet our lead teachers (they sit in the back of the room and give us feedback, but they have the teaching licenses) and get more professional development. I'm really excited, except the bus leaves at 6:30 AM. In the morning!

Off to tour the resource center (all the Barron's Regents review books I could want), and then going to sleep early.

Happy Birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment