Monday, June 27, 2011

Transformers

One of my favorite TV moments is the one in Dr. Who's new Series 1 finale, when Christopher Eccleston turned into David Tennant. Brilliant.

Last night's program revisited the idea of transformation that we had discussed last week. Last week, it was "transformational change", which I found a little repetitiously redundant. This week, we have "transformational education". Oh. Now I understand it. Our job is not only to educate our students, but to transform them into excited, motivated students. Teaching the lesson is not enough.

Last week, our last organized dinner was in small groups with local CMs and alumni. I was eating at the apartment of '05 DC and '06 CT TFA alumni. They were helpful. They gave us some more information about what it is really like out there on the battlefields, both this summer and during our first year. Something I found the most helpful was when I asked, "Do you ever find it fun? Or is it only hard?", the answer I received was, "Most days I enjoyed the challenge."

I could do that.

I also have a phone interview in the scheduling process at a new middle school in Hartford. The school focuses on Expeditionary Learning, a process that involves experiments, original research, and projects to learn. Sounds fun. It sounds a lot like a program I did in 4th and 5th grade, that I found so important in shaping me. I'm so excited about it, I'm getting nervous.

It doesn't help that I've had all day free today to think about the work I will fall behind on in the next five weeks. I wish I could get started now!

In other news, I struggled through a 1.5 mile run this morning. I could complain that it was hot, I had eaten too much for breakfast, and that I had a blister, but I think the problem is that I've lost my run. I've done too much this year. I think I need a break, to find a new form form of exercise for the short term.

No comments:

Post a Comment