Thursday, June 23, 2011

Community Service

Today began with community service projects around the state. My group's assignment was humbling and challenging and rewarding.

Carpool #22 was assigned to read stories to children at Yale-New Haven Children's Hospital. We arrived at the hospital and found the volunteer center, and after some logistical miscommunication, we were reading to children. One of the CMs in our group did a fantastic interactive performance of Brown Bear, Brown Bear, and I chose If You Give A Mouse a Cookie. After the two stories, the group split up. A CM and I visited some patient who were too sick to leave their rooms, while the rest of the group worked on art projects and more reading with the patients in the playroom. We read to two different patients, one of whom didn't really respond, but the other lightened up right away. It was a pleasure to see her and her father smile at Jamie Lee Curtis' silly story Today I Feel Silly.

Today I feel proud and sad and exhausted. I am continuing to work on my capstone project while watching MTV's 16 and Pregnant.

No comments:

Post a Comment