Monday, August 20, 2012

Planning!

Yup, there's more planning to do.

I got some really good feedback on the plans I submitted on Friday. I can now start working on some of the things that needed work last year, such as checks for understanding. I need to get better at asking the right questions at the right times, so that I know what the kids are thinking and they are staying engaged. I think that'll be my big goal for the year: to master checks for understanding (CFUs).

I have more planning to do (week 2's plans are due Wednesday), and a ton of classroom decorating. Fortunately, I have access to the school's giant printer and laminating machine, so I can make pretty much any poster I want--for free. I'm thinking of doing an Einstein face-quote poster ("A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.") and maybe a couple more face-quote posters. It was suggested that I represent women and minorities. Neil deGrasse  Tyson? Marie Curie? Any other ideas? I also will make some instructional posters relating to the course material.

I'm going to make a big colorful grid so that I can track students' exit ticket scores in a visible way. That way, they'll get excited about this little assignment, and I can easily keep track of student mastery.

Today I got a look at our first quarter assessment. This quarter is going to be fun. I'm trying really hard to map out the curriculum to cover the skills tested, but to teach towards mastery of skills rather than just to the test. I've got most of the scientific method planned, and some graphing. The rest of the quarter will be filled with geology: rocks, landmasses, water movement, rock cycle, and volcanoes! I get paid to teach 12-year olds about volcanoes!

My weekend was pretty uneventful. I visited a cousin of mine, who I reconnected with at the funereal events. My parents and grandfather came to NJ to visit and see my beautiful apartment. I spent many hours relaxing, watching TV. I took over 2 hours in combined naps. There was mushroom miso noodle soup eaten on the balcony. It was not a bad weekend, probably the most relaxing I've had in 15 weeks.

My running game has been awful, likely due to recent major life events and minor shin splints. That combo has turned my legs to cement, and I had my first enjoyable run in a few weeks on Saturday. It was only 2.27 miles, but it was definitely fun at some parts. Hopefully, with a few more nights of good rest, and once I kick this cold-ish thing I've got going on, I'll be back to my old self (plus a pound or three of pareve pastry weight from a long, healing, and fattening week of mourning).

Have I mentioned volcanoes?

No comments:

Post a Comment