Monday, August 27, 2012

Second First Day!

Whoa, it's like a totally different job.

I love it here. This is going to be a much better, and super challenging year.

I woke up at 5AM. It was dark, it was early. I was happy to see my colleagues in the morning, though. They were motivating, and we were excited together.

My first class was rough. Not completely awful, but it did not leave me smiling. We got up there about 10 minutes late after morning circle (like a morning assembly), and I panicked about the timing, and my IL was co-teaching with me (first period every day, until I get more experience), so I couldn't get into a rhythm. It felt forced, and I felt like a chicken with its head cut off. However, after the lesson, I sat down with my IL and got a few pointers. I had to rearrange my lessons somewhat, based on some misunderstandings about the students' prior knowledge.

I printed off some new worksheets, and did all over again. By myself. It wasn't perfect, but it was FUN. It was awesome. I had 90%+ compliance at all times (meaning, students sitting up straight and looking, I was 100% on writing work). Everyone did what I told them too. Some things, like the ending procedures, were a little messy (due to my unpreparedness), but it'll be better tomorrow.

The feedback was really useful, and I was complemented on my ability to accept feedback! I think a big difference is that it's much easier to receive feedback on the first day from someone who has been watching me for at least a few weeks, rather than from someone who walks into my classroom for the first time in October and tells me I've been doing something wrong every day for two months.

The kids are amazing. It's not just that they're more disciplined. It's that they've been disciplined since fifth grade, and therefore receiving a solid education since then. Their writing is universally as good as the top 10% of my class in Bridgeport. I'm no longer teaching a class that has kids who have paid attention for 7 years and those that haven't done any work since they lost tack of the material in 2nd grade. I'm teaching a class that has been working hard for the last two years, and are all on or above grade level. The special ed kids receive special ed. They all want to be there. They are polite and interested in the material, even if the material is my course grading policy. It makes me want to sing.

I've also really, really worked out my organization plan. I feel organized and ready to go at all times. I know where everything is. I know what I need to do, and when I need to do it. It makes sleeping much easier.

And, in case my life wasn't good enough, I had this waiting for me when I came home:

I'm really tired, and will probably write more when I have more energy. There's so much more to say. Right now, I have a wedge of brie and glass of wine to demolish.

No comments:

Post a Comment