Monday, December 17, 2012

Concert

Last Thursday we had our Winter Concert and it was fun...and horrible and exhausting. School ended at 2:30, so it was "study hall" until about 4, then a dress rehearsal, then more study hall, then the concert. It was hours of babysitting, and I hate managing a classroom when I am not invested in managing them (i.e. have to teach them anything). They were noisy and anxious about the performance, and I was cranky to start the day.

The concert was beautiful, though. I finally understood that scene at the end of The Music Man, when the kids play their instruments terribly, and the parents were overwhelmingly proud. It was kind of like that. There is some talent, both by middle school standards and by normal people standards, but overall it was pretty...cute. And keeping kids quiet without yelling or taking dollars was challenging. Definitely challenging. By the end of the night (7PM +) I was really ready to race out of there and put my feet up. Due to the testing schedule, I had only had about 40 minutes of down time during the day. Fortunately, 10 of those minutes were spent eating pizza.

Friday was the NSA, and it was about twice as rigorous and about three times as long as the first one. My entire weekend was spent either grading or working out, except for a lunch with my parents, frozen yogurt on Saturday night with Boyfriend, and a nice hangout with the med students on Friday night. There was a lot of grading, but I managed to finish the grading over the weekend and the data entry today. I also ran 5 miles, swam 800 yards with my new Y membership, ran 2.2 miles, and biked for 15 minutes. Not bad for a rainy December weekend. I hope to keep it up.

This afternoon marks the second week of my school's new Workout Warriors (WOW), where we meet up after school twice a week and follow a crazy MMA workout video. I look forward to the workout, where a bunch of young teachers will embarrass themselves in the privacy of the school gym, but mostly I can't wait to put on a t-shirt.

Four days of school left until I've made it to my second Christmas Break.

No comments:

Post a Comment