Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Invalid Password

Well, this was the bad day I've been waiting for. Forces combined against me to make a long and challenging day, and it wasn't even 100% bad.

It was rainy and overcast, which never helps. As the days get shorter (2.5 months until solstice), it gets a little harder to get up in the morning. Last night I didn't sleep well, and it was the second consecutive night of tossing and turning. I woke up feeling gross and overtired, and of course my students noticed it immediately. They pushed every button I had, and I almost called it a day by the end of homeroom. I had to turn my back to the class, catch my breath, and yell some more.

Surprisingly, when I saw my homeroom again for science class, they were actually pretty good. After sending the instigator out of the room, we got some learning done. I taught them a little dance to show them the five characteristics of life (Living things: grow, are made of cells, reproduce, use energy, and respond to surroundings). They loved it, and even participated. Some scratch-and-sniff stickers sealed the deal (Miss, I'm working hard, can I get a sticker?).

Another class was shortened due to the half day and my morning double period was rough. I was feeling icky due to sleeplessness and it showed.

The afternoon was School Improvement from 1:30-4pm, which was both great and rough. We (everyone involved in the 7th and 8th grade) spent most of that time discussing how to make things better. It helped to know that everyone else is having the same problems with these kids that I am. We discussed ways to help, including an informal mentoring program on our own time, for the kids who need it most. We also planned a positive reward system for the middle school as a whole. One of the best suggestions was to take some of the toughest kids out of class to mentor elementary students. This would both give us a break, and make them feel empowered (hopefully, empowered enough to want to set a good example). We even discussed a plan to make dismissal go more smoothly.

I then went and worked with a couple of teachers in one of their classrooms, and learned a few things I could use to improve my classroom. I don't seem to be doing very well at taking control of the space, so that the kids respect that I am always in charge and that my rules always go. I need to set routines even better, and although I have made definite improvements lately, there is a lot I need to do.

Unfortunately, I went back to my classroom and found that I was unable to login to the school webmail and gradebook (invalid password/username combination). The IT guy had just left the office (3:59 pm). This means I can't finish my last 10 minutes of work today, or access a couple of phone numbers of parents. I had a great run of phone calls yesterday (75% connection rate, both good and bad calls, good relationships begun with parents), but am unable to continue tonight.

Tonight I'm taking a break. I might do some SCSU work, but I only have "maximum 2-3 paragraphs" to write. Otherwise, I have fish sticks in the oven and plans to meet friends for an early evening of bar trivia. I've been trying to get out and socialize for a month, and this is it. Like last night, I don't wanna go out, but I know it's good for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment