Thursday, October 13, 2011

Money!

Doctor. Gym. Shower. Phone calls. Laundry.

It was a productive day, topped off with an email notification of a GIANT paycheck. It's all my back pay from while I was being paid as a sub, plus this paycheck. Party! (Or, pay credit card bills.)

Today went really well. I just don't understand. I think all the kids meet up every morning to decide how they will all behave. I finished plenty of material in class, and got some work done. Two of my classes had earned donuts today, and they absolutely loved that. In one class, as the 10-minute donut (Blogger doesn't think the singular "donut" is a real word) party was wrapping up, one of my quiet-but-struggling students asked for help with the Do Now. I reminded her of the speed triangle (shows relationship between distance, time, and speed), and she hurriedly scribbled in the right answers. Way to go! She got a phone call home for that one. She's been stepping up recently.

Another difficult student, who can't sit still, was participating today after I asked him to get up and model a football kickoff return. He showed the class a great example of why we need to consider instantaneous velocity instead of only average velocity (because velocity isn't constant--if it was, you'd get tacked pretty quickly--because you need to move out of the way of the other team). Afterwards, he was unusually engaged in the lesson.

Even my homeroom was good today. I showed them the characteristics of life dance again, and they loved it again. It started out the class well. At the end of class, the principal walked in and saw them behaving! That never happens!

I've heard mention that my blog sounds like a memoir. I guess that is what it is, but usually when someone sits down to write a memoir, they already know the ending. I don't know where this story is going. I get to read it along with you. That's the advantage of blogging. Or disadvantage. You never know if the ending is going to be really dull. (Personally, I'm hoping for the kind of dull that has white picket fences and a dog.)

Last night, trivia was a lot of fun. It's nice to get out now and then and do something else, talk about something else.

Now, I have wine and Chinese food.

No comments:

Post a Comment