Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Productivity

I think I actually made progress with my homeroom class today. Now, it's certainly not perfect, but I got about 10 solid minutes of instruction time with them today. I am having a bit of trouble with a different class, now that I have to cover material with them, but we're getting there. Definitely getting there.

I found out that my visit by the superintendent and principal wasn't quite as awesome as I had thought. I got my report, which included a lot of areas for improvement (management details, showing student work in the work), but they also commented that I improved since my first principal visit. I guess that's something, but I was hoping for more. I was told, however, that the report is standard for all teachers, and they didn't take into account that I'm new or have no idea what I'm doing (maybe more idea than that, but not much).

Otherwise, though, I've been super productive this week. I have called several parents, made a doctor appointment, made a dentist appointment, hired a maid service to clean my apartment next week, cleaned my apartment, cleaned my desk at school, and created an alphabetical-by-class filing system for every student that I have begun filling with their work.

I'm proud. After being reminded to take a breather once in a while, I told a teacher mentor/friend of mine that I was getting my nails done today. I'm glad I'll be held accountable to that.

Last night, I went to spin class. It showed me what it is like to be a student in a class where the teacher is way to excited and you're not quite sure if you're keeping up or not, and it reminded that there are things more physically challenging than teaching. Today I am sore. It was worth it, though, and I have 4 more classes paid for through a LivingSocial deal ($25, not bad). I discovered, though that without a coupon, each class costs $23. Not quite in my budget. Maybe there will be a Groupon for some other kind of exercise class when I use these up.

Tonight I have a TFA meeting in New Haven (~30 min from here). Once my dinner finishes cooking, I'll pack it up, get my nails done, and head to New Haven. These Tuesday TFA PD meetings are so stressful, but I guess I have to pay my dues. They did get me this sweet job.

(FYI: The boss at the last job I had, doing research in a lab in NYC, just got a long-awaited Nobel Prize. Congratulations to his lab, but I'm still happier here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment