Wednesday, October 5, 2011

More of the Same

My blogging may become less frequent as I share more of the same: this is starting to feel like a job, though an especially challenging and rewarding one. I can let it go at the end of the day.

There were rough moments, but I got things taught to multiple classes. My worst classes weren't so bad and my best classes were...okay. I've been having better luck with my new consequence plan, but I promised a phone call home to a student and can't reach his parents. Home phone is a wrong number and mother's cell is disconnected.

This afternoon, our faculty meeting was a party to send off our assistant principal, whom I will miss. I don't know how this school will run without her. The kids loved her AND feared her, in a productive way. She always offered advice and would always make time to listen. She knew what she was doing and will continue to be a role model for me. I may sneak into her new school or the church where she is a pastor, just to say hi, after a particularly rough week. Maybe her awesomeness will rub off on me. She shared, with a tear, that every day after she gave her 30-day notice, she hoped someone from Bridgeport would call her promising that she could keep the job despite job cuts. It never came.

As of mid-October, Bridgeport is cutting a lot of jobs. We may not get another assistant principal. Although our principal is great, she is already overworked. We may lose our art teacher. We may lose support staff such as the guidance counselor and school psychologist. We already only have the school nurse three days a week. This place is tough. I want to know who looked at BPS and thought, these kids have too much. Let's take some away.

On a happier note, my parents are driving up to CT tonight to take me out for dinner. I'm so excited! Food! Drink! Two more days until the long weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment