Friday, October 14, 2011

Kids!

Kids!
I don't know what's wrong with these kids today!

I listened to that song on the way to work today. It finally makes sense.

Though my day was good, and I had a good teaching week, it was very stressful. For the first time all year, I am starting to get really anxious. I think a lot of it has to do with science fair, a big annual event that requires me to drag 130 students into doing a full science experiment and creating a presentation board that looks nice enough for an administrative walk through. I've been told that it is the most challenging and least fun part of my year. It's a lot of work on my end, and I'm really nervous about putting it together. It will be sometime in January, which means I need to get the kids started NOW. I plan on meeting with the principal next week to choose a date and to find out what her expectations are.

I'm also anxious about my classes going well. Now that I get stuff done in class, I have to plan longer lessons and more practice. I get through lessons faster than I expect, but kids need more practice than I expect. I'm learning.

This week, three of my four nights were crappy-sleep-toss-and-turn nights. I need to sort myself out. I need to relax better and go to sleep earlier. Unfortunately, I'm the kind of person that stresses about about not sleeping well, which leads me to sleep worse, which leads me to stress out, which...

This morning when I showed up to school, I wasn't feeling up to it. Fortunately, my mentor shoved a few Oreos in my face and I was able to start the day with a slightly chocolatey smile. Fake it till you make it, right?

Weekend weekend weekend! Tonight, I have a friend coming over to share in wine and cheese. Tomorrow, I have a long day at SCSU, followed by a fundraiser concert way back in Long Island that is hosted by my fire department to raise money for the Wounded Warrior Project. Hopefully, on Sunday, I'll get some ambulance time.

No comments:

Post a Comment