Sunday, July 15, 2012

Moving

I moved today! I officially have a residence in New Jersey, and by tomorrow, I'll have a NJ driver's license as well.

The move was long and exhausting, but smooth. I packed up all my stuff early in the week, so it was all ready to go today. My dad and I met the movers at early o'clock this morning, and we napped on the couch while they did a great job of packing the truck. So worth it. It was all moved to the new apartment by 2PM, and the movers were polite and wonderful.

When I got back to my parents house, I went out for a really great run. It was my first interval workout that involved running/jogging intervals, rather than the usual jogging/walking intervals. It was tough, but I was proud. It helped that the weather was a magical just-cooled-off, sky-about-to-burst pre-rainstorm weather.

I'm working on running faster. I ran in a 5K yesterday morning, and finished in a nice 33:26 (10:47 min/mi). It's not my best time ever, but I finished with no gas left, which is a nice feeling. The race was pretty boring, although not perfectly flat, through suburban neighborhood streets. It was a pretty big (~400) women's only race, which meant that I was solidly in the pack. I finished about 2/3 of the way through the pack, which is better than usual.

Although I was pretty happy with my time, I've been wanting to finish a 5K under 30 minutes (9:40 min/mi), which is about a min/mi faster that what I did. I did it once, last year, finishing a race last April in 29:47. I still suspect that race was shorter than advertised, but can't confirm it, so I can only work harder to race that fast again. I wasn't training for speed at the time, but was training for the half-marathon, which did make me faster. I guess.

Tomorrow, I'm going back to NJ to do some unpacking and hang out at the DMV for a while, and I will reward myself with a first visit to the lovely bike path near the new apartment. If I can get in a good 20 mile ride (under 2 hours?), then I'll feel pretty confident about completing an Olympic Triathlon on August 12. By tomorrow, I will have recently completed long workouts of a 1.1 mile swim, (hopefully) 20 mile bike, and 5 mile run, which is not a bad start for training for a triathlon in four weeks that includes a .9 mile swim, 25 mile bike, and 6.2 mile run. I think I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment