Monday, July 16, 2012

Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

I should have stayed in bed today.

Yesterday, I moved into my beautiful apartment. And it really is beautiful. When I moved in, there was a little bit of trash in the apartment: some bags of chips, a bag of candy, and a dirty magazine in a drawer. We called maintenance, and they cleaned up and vacuumed for me. It was probably the cleaning crew or some workers. No big deal. Lock the deadbolt, no more worries.

Today, I arrived at my apartment to find the door destroyed and the TV missing. There was some soda spilled on the carpet and a can was presumably missing from the box of soda in the kitchen. There were a couple of new holes in my recliner's leather. Many boxes had been opened, and my clothes were all over the floor in the closet.

The police came in (and were wonderful). As much as it sucks being on this side of a Law and Order plot, they were very kind. They even offered to accompany me if I ever felt nervous getting into my apartment.

The building super and maintenance staff were very helpful. They immediately took a door off of an unused building (still under construction) and replaced my broken door with it. They steamed the carpet and then kept me company until they went off duty at 3:30 PM. They also shared personal anecdotes of similar experiences, and advice, and information on all of the places that were MORE dangerous. They also told us that there had been a homeless man seen breaking into and squatting in empty units. I bet he was really unhappy that I got rid of his snacks.

The woman at the front office of the apartment was not helpful. I couldn't reach her, but when my dad did, she did not help at all in getting our alarm system set up or sharing any other information. Thanks.

The apartment management company called me and let me know that they had called the alarm company, and that they'd be there between 3 and 5 PM to install the alarm system, and that they were sorry this happened. My dad pointed out that they were eager to call me back, rather than him, because he is very good at...getting stuff done. I'm a little less effective.

The other frustration of the day came from Cablevision. I had installation of phone/internet/TV scheduled for 2-4PM, but I called around 1PM to cancel--I no longer had a TV and did not want to deal with that. Unfortunately, I realized that I still needed the phone line installed (what, it's cheaper to have all three than just internet/TV), so I called them back at 1:15. After waiting on hold for 10 minutes or so, I was told that my appointment slot had been rescheduled. I explained the situation to three Cablevision employees in the next 45 minutes, eventually having an assistant supervisor squeeze me in between 2 and 8 PM. Can't it be earlier? The alarm company is coming 3-5. Nope. Can't do.

I spoke to my boyfriend in Israel. He was upset, of course, but mostly concerned about my safety. He suggested we find a personal safety class when he gets back. He also agreed that there was no reason to move just for the sake of moving, because we really weren't going to find a safer area. He also must have called his parents and good friend, because I got contacted by both of them to make sure I was okay. Of course I'm okay. Overwhelmed, cranky, but I'm okay. My recliner, on the other hand, needs some leather repair. Besides, I had even considered giving away my TV, because Boyfriend already has a TV, and I don't REALLY need a TV in the bedroom too.

Alright, the alarm company came around 4, and were very pleasant. I was a little nervous letting strangers into the apartment, but their ladder had "Safelight Security" scrawled on it in black Sharpie, so I figured they were trustworthy.

And then I waited. And waited. I read some internet on my phone. I unpacked the kitchen (so much space!) and some clothes (not so much space!). I stood on my balcony (I have a balcony!). I watched couples stroll around the complex after dinner. A guy washed his car. Another guy saw my old damaged door sitting by the dumpster and took some pictures with his phone. It looked like a really safe neighborhood.

Around 7:00, I called Cablevision to get a time estimate on the technician. They took my phone number and said that dispatch would call me with a time estimate in the next 15 minutes. By 7:45, I'd heard nothing, so I sat on hold with Cablevision some more, and they told me I wasn't getting a technician. There was no recording of the rescheduled appointment, only the cancellation. And by the time I got off hold, it was after 8, and no technicians did service after 8. I could have gone home four hours before. Or, I could have gone biking at the nice bike path near the apartment. I YELLED at the customer service representative, which is something I never do, and I'll probably feel guilty about it on another day. Not yet, though. I angrily drove back to my parents house, where I'll stay until Boyfriend returns from Israel. There was no traffic and my mom had dinner and drink waiting for me.

I also forgot to mention that I arrived at the NJ DMV this morning to get a new license, but, after waiting in line for a few minutes, realized that I forgot my lease (proof of residence). Whoops. Try again tomorrow.

I have some supportive people in my life, but I'd really like to give a good scolding to Cablevision and Vagrant Burglar.

Tired. Hungry. Headache. Bedtime.

I should have stayed in bed today.

No comments:

Post a Comment