Wednesday, April 10, 2013

10-mile Burger

I worked hard and played hard this weekend.

Friday night, I used a Groupon for a pub, and enjoyed an order of fried pickles (as delicious as you'd think - very) and half a hamburger (I saved the other half for another time - I'm being healthy! I'm halfway to my weight goal!). There also might have been a drink or two.

Saturday morning, I tutored at school. In the Saturdays preceding state testing, we hold tutoring sessions. Fortunately, there is only testing for math and English this year, so it's not personally stressful. Besides, we get a stipend. So, I got paid to put on jeans and talk about integers for a few hours.

Immediately after Saturday school, I went to the park to get a head start on my second 10-miler. In preparation for this, rather than having pizza at noon with the students, I had the second half of my hamburger at about 10:30, so I had a few hours to digest for my 1PM run. It was definitely a smarter idea, although I wouldn't call it smart. In fact, I learned several important rules:
1) 3 hours of teaching on my feet is not a good warm up
2) I will regret eating a hamburger before running by mile 6
3) Warm weather is only a treat for the first 90 minutes

I was hot and sweaty and my stomach was unhappy. It was also much harder than last weekend's 10-miler, probably because of the combined miles. Next weekend's long run will only be 6, so I'll be well-rested in time for the half marathon in 11 days.

In the future, all long runs will be first thing in the morning. It leaves fewer variables (only breakfast) and fresher legs.

I also got in a great 12.5-mile bike on Sunday with my dad and his friends. Oh, that's what hills feel like.

No comments:

Post a Comment