Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Achievement Gap

In preparation for next week's state testing (NJ-ASK), we pumped the kids up during circle with a Powerpoint and discussion about the Achievement Gap. The kids were asked to interpret a graph showing the disparity between SAT scores amongst different populations (White/Asian vs. Hispanic/Black). This was then connected to their test scores, and we got to look at graphs of them destroying the Achievement Gap. No, seriously.

We saw that in 5th grade, my students blew away not only the Newark scores, but also the New Jersey averages. In 6th grade, they destroyed the NJ average scores, and were within +/- 1 percentage point of the NJ white average. As one student described it, not only have they closed the Achievement Gap at VMS, in math, they have reversed it.

I continued to challenge the students today, with a really hard lesson. We were discussing the exchange between potential and kinetic energy in the magic land of Zelmania, where there is no friction or air resistance. The kids found it very challenging, but not for the physics reasons. They don't really have the background in algebra. They can easily solve the equation Kinetic Energy = 1/2 mv-squared when given mass and velocity, but are completely baffled when they have to solve for velocity given all other variables. It's very frustrating for me to see a problem that I can't fix, because I don't have the week to spend on algebra basics that they won't really see until next year.

Two of my classes did a really good job working through the challenges, thinking critically, and following the right "procedure" to solve for velocity. The third class, though had more difficulty. This was the highest class, the one that always understands instantly. They don't have the patience to work through things. They want in and done. They were the most unwilling to accept that they just needed to follow the steps, and that they'd learn the algebra later. That class left me with several confused students, most of whom knew what to do, but not why they were doing it. They were unhappy, and I was unhappy, and that's where I left it.

Oral Drill Challenge
Towards the start of each class, we get the kids hyped up with a 2-3 minute series of rapid-fire questions, usually recall or simple calculations. Mine have been lagging, which creates a slow and non-urgent start to class, so I've been assigned a new PD goal. I need to make the start of class more urgent, and to do so, I need to ask at least 10 oral drill questions.

The only way I know to get engaged in a task like this is to get the kids engaged, so I created the Oral Drill Challenge.  Each day, I set the timer for 3 minutes. In those three minutes, the we have 10 questions to get through (I can make up more if we finish those). I record the total number of questions the class gets correct, and the class with the highest total at the end of the week gets a team dollar. They kids are getting really into it, and so am I -- just as planned. It sets an urgent tone for the whole class.

I'm still sore, but I put in 10 minutes on the bike yesterday, which felt good and loosened everything up. I'm going to rest today and tomorrow, and get back on my feet with a short run on Thursday. I can't wait to start working on getting faster!

No comments:

Post a Comment