Monday, April 29, 2013

NJ-ASK

Testing began today. And it SUCKS.

All the kids were tense from the moment they walked in. It's nice for a little while, when they sit silently and wait patiently, for the first time in their lives. But it lasted all day. It was exhausting for everyone.

The morning started with a 7th grade circle (5th and 6th testing aren't until next week). We have an annual circle that consists of a Powerpoint of photos of students and their achievements on past NJ-ASKs with some inspiring music ("We will...we will...rock you!"). The kids got really into it, both those on the slides and those who want to be on the slides next year.

The homeroom transition was uneventful, and testing ran smoothly. The tension was palpable, as these kids forced out reading comprehension and essays in short timed sections. I roamed the hallway, covering while teachers took breaks, making sure students didn't talk in the bathrooms, and checking all of the homework for every subject. It was boring and tedious, and I wasn't even proctoring! I can't imagine how difficult it must have been for the other teachers!

I had a brief 30 minute for lunch, and then I taught three classes in a row. The first one was really rough. I felt like I was single-handedly dragging 23 kids through a lesson on friction. And, I was taping that lesson. As much as I'll hate to watch it with my IL, it will be helpful to get all the advice I can before she leaves next year. The next two classes went much better, with my IL popping in and complimenting me on my awesome oral drill. By the end of the three, though, I was wiped out and a little cranky. I still put on my game face, but took a 90-second sitting break during the last class...and it was glorious. Who thought lunges and squats were a good idea?

Monday is my light weights day. My tutoring student cancelled on me, so I stopped in the gym and did some upper body weights and core. In addition to last night's squats and lunges, I should be in fighting shape in no time. I've already noticed huge improvements in my biceps and quads. Not bad. Hopefully, the weather will clear up in time for tomorrow's run.

Friday night, I went out for a nice dinner with the boyfriend. It was suitably expensive, but pretty disappointing. Oh well, it was fun nonetheless. Saturday, I ran 5 miles easy, feeling a little heavy, and swam a bit. My swim ended terribly, as I attempted a 10x100 yd time trial, and lost count about halfway through, and got so frustrated that I just gave up. Ugh. Gave up. It even hurts to type it out. I ended up doing a couple of 100 yd sprints in an attempt to finally clock in under 2:00, but after a 2:01 and 2:02, I called it a day. I'm sure if I were fresh or if I had a timekeeper and didn't have to fumble with my watch, I'd have that 1:59, but I'll just save it for another day.

Sunday, I finally decided that the 5-Boro Bike Tour isn't happening. I'm registered ($90 in) to ride 40 miles around NYC this weekend, but I don't think I can do it. It's not the fitness, it's the mental. I'm still mentally exhausted from the half marathon. I could do the ride, but it wouldn't be fun. It would put off my triathlon training for another couple of weeks, and I'd have the risk of getting injured or burned out early this year. I just don't feel like it. Instead, I went on an awesome 15 mile ride on Sunday morning, and finally conquered my fear of riding on the road. It felt great, and I figured out how to get to the bike path on a bicycle. I have no more need to put my bike in the car. I can ride as far and as long as I could ever want, right from my apartment.

I then tried to put in a 2-3 mile run. I found a new trail, but only made it a bit over a mile. I think I'm still a little wiped from the race. The internet says recovery takes one day for every mile of a race, so 13.1 or so days to fully recover. That takes me until next weekend.

Meanwhile, I've stopped pretending I'm going to watch an intellectual TV show like the Wire, and started (re-)watching Angel the spinoff of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, while I put together food for this week's Sunshine Breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment